Instagram

Instagram

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mexico Meets Lebanon - High Fiber Citrusy Salad (Vegan / Vegetarian / Gluten Free / Low Carb)

Down the street is an amazing lebanese restaurant called Skaf's.  They have amazing Middle Eastern food, but it is quite more refined than many of the other local places that I have been to.

Now that I am eating less meat  (in fact you can find me on instagram at meeatlessmeat ) I would like to try and recreate some of my favorite international foods without the meat.

This one is a no brainer since it's a salad and doesn't have meat to start with.  I didn't have some of the ingredients in my house.

I will provide the recipe for both my Mexican influenced version and the Lebanese version


Ingredients for Mexican Version

4 cups of cabbage; shredded

1/4 cup of avocado oil

2 Tablespoon Pressed Garlic

1/8 cup lime juice (2 limes)

1/4 cup of packed cilantro; chopped

1 teaspoon of salt


Instructions

Shred cabbage (usually I use the light green kind and shred it much thinner than this)

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl

Toss with cabbage and let marinate for at least a 1/2 hour in the refrigerator


For the Lebanese Version

substitute the limes for lemons

The avocado oil for olive oil

the cilantro for mint leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment