Instagram

Instagram

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Homemade Organic Onion Salt

On Sunday Afternoons I like to go through the refrigerator and see what I can salvage before they go bad.  Usually I have a lot of fruits and vegetables that are starting to look a little sad.  This weekend I ended up with three nice big onions that were still in good shape, but with no immediate need for them, I decided to dehydrate them and make Organic Onion Salt.



I happened to have 1 White Onion, 1 Brown Onion and 1 Red Onion

Peel off the outer papery shell and slice 1/4 inch thick or less

Line them up on as many dehydrator trays as necessary to keep them in a single layer

Turn dehydrator to 145 Degrees and dehydrate for about 12 hours or until they are crispy



One they have reached a point where they break in your hands and are not leathery at all, place them in a blender, food processor or coffee grinder (one only used for spices)


I really like my Magic Bullet, it is convenient for everything from making smoothies, infused oils and butters and now I know they are good for making garlic salt too!

Add 1/2 Tablespoon of sea salt.  I used Pink Himalayan Salt and Black Hawaiian Lava Salt (a mixture of sea salt and activated charcoal) A little of this salt goes a long way.

Blend until a fine powder is formed.  You may have to shake your blender a few times in-between blending.


Store in an airtight container.  It's really good and I know it's organic because I know exactly what is in it.



No comments:

Post a Comment